Author Topic: nymphing  (Read 3181 times)

asdf

nymphing
« on: January 04, 2006, 08:03:36 AM »
New guy here.

I've been dry fly fishing for 2 years now and I want to try nymphing this year, and tips?

BTW nice site.

RussB

• Global Moderator
  • Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
Re: nymphing
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 08:41:57 AM »
One thing that you find is that you will not need anywhere the patterns that dry fly fishing requires.  Get a few generic patterns like the GRHE, PT, Prince, a caddis or two and perhaps a couple of stoneflys and have at it.  You will run into the old indicator vs no indicator argument, try an indicator until you get used to the takes.  If you can get hold of a copy of Gary Borger's book "Nymphing" read it.  It is short, concise and has excellent advice with a minimum of BS.  Best of luck, RussB
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 08:44:06 AM by RussB »

Rich_M

• Caddis
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 07:06:06 PM »
Pink Squirrels !! Nuf said.
<*))))><    Do these waders make my butt look big??   ><((((*>

Jerry_G

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 07:33:10 PM »
Pink Squirrels !! Nuf said.    ::)

Well Russ, so much for trying to teach the new guy some ethics.   ;)

Regards,  Jerry

RussB

• Global Moderator
  • Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 10:36:10 PM »
Jerry:  The Pink Squirrel, aka the Lavender Chinchilla (as it is known around Princeton), is one of those very successful patterns that imitates nothing in particular and everything in general.  I think that sometimes trout take it for a caddis and sometimes because it is so "cute".  As for ethics...My fly fishing teacher (my Dad) once told me that ethics were what the other fly fishers were supposed to follow.  Now Bob K. will get a kick out of this story as it happened near his cabin.  The "Old Gent" (my Dad) caught a very nice brown out of the Pine in Florence County and wanted to enter it in the Florence County fishing contest, it would have won for sure.  He was a bit secretive and did not want anyone to know exactly where he caught it.   He had it weighed and filled out the entry form at Hablitzel's General Store in Long Lake. While doing so he wrote in the location for catching it as the Peshtigo River.  The trouble being that the Peshtigo does not run through Florence County, its in Forest and the 6#+ brown was disqualified.  We never let him live that one down.  So much for ethics.  By all means asdf, add a couple of Pink Squirrels to your collection, especially in SW Whizconsin. Best of luck, RussB

Jerry_G

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 08:22:27 AM »
GULP!!!  I had no idea so many had strayed from the flock.   :o  :(

That was sure a cool story though.  

Regards,  Jerry

Rich_M

• Caddis
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 09:25:20 AM »
Ethics-smethics. They catch fish. I once had a fellow flyfisherman tell me that fishing nymphs was nothing more than glorified bait fishing. I said, "Thank you very much" and kept on fishing.

Jerry_G

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 09:51:06 AM »
All tongue in cheek statements on my part.  Only intended to stir the pot ever so slightly.  

No doubt about it the Pink Squirrel is a very effective fly.  I've seen the fly that Rich ties and the dubbing he uses for the pink in that fly really sets it apart from some of the others.  

Regards,  Jerry

SirTrout

• Administrator
  • Caddis
  • Fly fishing is not just for royalty.
    • FlyFishingWis
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 09:56:29 AM »
Ethics-smethics. They catch fish. I once had a fellow flyfisherman tell me that fishing nymphs was nothing more than glorified bait fishing. I said, "Thank you very much" and kept on fishing.

I know a few dry fly purest, I have heard them say that bead heads are cheating!  My fly fishing mentor is a dry fly guy, thus I did not fish a nymph for the for the fist few years!  Now I love to nymph if there is no hatch.

-ST
www.FlyFishingWis.com

Vegetarian: Primitive word for "Lousy Hunter"

asdf

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 12:52:40 PM »
Thanks.

For the following flies,  what size should I tie?

GRHE,
PT,
Prince,
caddis
Pink Squirrel

« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 03:32:46 PM by asdf »

BoB_K

• Global Moderator
  • Caddis
  • Where's that silly trout
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 04:01:18 PM »
Great story Russ, did your dad catch it on a pink squirrel?

BoB K
Brookies Forever

RussB

• Global Moderator
  • Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 05:04:30 PM »
asdf:  sizes...this is just a general guide:
     Caddis--14-16
     Prince--12-14
     Pheasant Tail--16-18
     GRHE--10-16 (assorted colors..natural, black, olive etc.)
     Pink Squirrel--(on a curved caddis hook usually) 14-16
There are a lot of caddis imitations to pick from.  All of these can be tied using beadheads or regular (except the pink squirrel, I've only seen that with a beadhead).  Remember this is only a guide, another fisher could give you a list with five other patterns that would also be successful.  Don't take us too seriously ::) we like to kid each other.  A good nymph fisher will catch many trout, I think that I read somewhere that 80-90% of a trout's feeding takes place underwater. The PS has caught trout for me from Wisconsin to Arkansas to Tennessee.  A word of caution, watch out for Rich, I heard he even ties flies using rubber ;).   Best of luck, RussB

« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 05:07:40 PM by RussB »

RussB

• Global Moderator
  • Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 05:12:05 PM »
Great story Russ, did your dad catch it on a pink squirrel?

BoB K
Bob:  No, he caught it on a fly ;D, only kidding, He caught it on his favorite fly, a white marabou streamer.  That was pre-wb, before wooly buggers.  You may even know where he caught it, in the big pool just below Meyer's Falls east of Tipler in the Goodman timber.  If not before we will see you at Sabre Lanes, if I can find it.  Best of luck, RussB

SirTrout

• Administrator
  • Caddis
  • Fly fishing is not just for royalty.
    • FlyFishingWis
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 07:37:18 AM »
asdf,

I would add in one or two beadhead paterns to the mix.

One good nymph to have in the box is a peaking caddis.

-ST
www.FlyFishingWis.com

Vegetarian: Primitive word for "Lousy Hunter"

Rich_M

• Caddis
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 09:25:36 AM »
White marabou streamers!!, woolly buggers!!. What next: Hornbergs!!, Angel flies!!, and dare I say, "Dancing mice!!". This thread about nymphs has spiraled downwardly out of control.    ;)

Seriously, a good streamer fisher will out-fish, big fish, any other fly fisher. I've seen it done. Never experienced it myself, I tend to have too short of an attention span.
Russ and Jerry, I've been known to use rubber, foam and others, in my ties. Also, packing materials, fast food containers, and parts of junk cars. Save the Earth!