Author Topic: Opening weekend for the Brule..  (Read 820 times)

SirTrout

• Administrator
  • Caddis
  • Fly fishing is not just for royalty.
    • FlyFishingWis
Opening weekend for the Brule..
« on: March 27, 2006, 08:24:56 AM »
Back to the BruleSTEELHEAD OPENER: Steelhead anglers returned to Wisconsin's Brule River for the opener Saturday and found fishing a little slow.BY SAM COOKNEWS TRIBUNE OUTDOORS WRITERWISCONSIN'S BRULE RIVER -- The word was out.
With more than 9,000 steelhead already in the Brule River after last fall's run, anticipation was high for Saturday's opener downstream of U.S. Highway 2.
"I went to my favorite hot spot," said Al Wolf of Carlton. "I got there at 3:30, and the parking lot was full."
He meant 3:30 a.m., of course. Steelheaders know that the best action for these big, Lake Superior rainbows is often early, before the fish have seen too many spawn bags and yarn flies. And with crowds expected for the opener, you have to get there early to stake out a spot.
Missing that opportunity, Wolf headed for a piece of the river near Wisconsin Highway 13. He was sitting there, having coffee on the bank about 8 a.m. He already had landed a 4-pound steelhead.
"It feels good to hook that first one of the year," he said.
Wolf's action was typical for anglers on the Brule on Saturday

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/14186829.htm

-ST
www.FlyFishingWis.com

Vegetarian: Primitive word for "Lousy Hunter"

asdf

Re: Opening weekend for the Brule..
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 01:11:01 PM »
Has anyone heard how the fishing was on the Brule over the weekend?

muskyguide

• Caddis
  • Check your fly
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 03:51:33 PM »
     I promised my Dad that I would never join the circus, so I never go to the Brule on opening weekend. I will be headed up there next week.
     In case anyone is interested in Brown Trout in the 18 inch class, they are really active on the upper Namekagon RIGHT NOW. You won't be sorry if you get up there very soon.  Little Stonefly nymphs are the hot fly.
muskyguide

SirTrout

• Administrator
  • Caddis
  • Fly fishing is not just for royalty.
    • FlyFishingWis
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 06:40:57 AM »
MG,

What size and color are the Little Stonefly nymphs you where have luck with?

After last weekend I'm trying to remember what color the nymphs are for the black stone flies.  I thought I have seen displays where they were more of a light brown.  

-ST
www.FlyFishingWis.com

Vegetarian: Primitive word for "Lousy Hunter"

muskyguide

• Caddis
  • Check your fly
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 09:49:51 AM »
   They are dark olive, almost black, in size 12 and 14. I also do well with Holy Grails in size 14.
muskyguide