Author Topic: I'm a Federal warden and I'll need to see:  (Read 3377 times)

Jerry_G

I'm a Federal warden and I'll need to see:
« on: November 11, 2007, 07:48:01 PM »
I had just pulled my cased gun from the car when another vehicle pulled in to the parking area.  This is on I believe it's called waterfowl recovery land.  As the fellow stepped from his vehicle he addressed himself as a federal warden and asked if I was just finishing up or just getting started.  I said I was just starting and he said ; I'll need to see your license and the type of shells you have.  I already had my vest on and reached in my right pocket and pulled out four or five shells and handed them to him.  He checked those with some sort of meter to verify them as having steel shot.  Handing them back he inquired about my other pocket and I pulled out the water bottle that I carry for the dog.  He then questioned if I had lead shot shells with me and I said I had lead shot shells in the car.  Your sure you have no lead shot shells with you again he questioned and I repeated I have lead shot shells in the car.  From there the conversation went to whether I hunted out there very often.  I told him that I had been out there three other times and he asked if I had seen any tree stands.  I told him no and he went on to say that he had pulled five stands today from public land.  He did give me the location of some public land that had corn fields cut next to it and that there were lots of birds out there.  In getting back into his vehicle he asked that if I seen any tree stands if I would let him know.  As I headed into the field I had to wonder how I was suppose to let him know.

Thinking back it has to be well over thirty years since I showed my license to a warden.  And now that I think about it that too was a federal warden.  The conversation I had with this fellow was alright as he was good enough to point me toward some other spots that may produce some birds.  On the other hand I thought asking me twice if I had and lead shot shells on me was perhaps excessive.

Regards,  Jerry

Clay

• Caddis
Re: I'm a Federal warden and I'll need to see:
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:25:12 AM »
Did he show any ID, drive a state car, dressed in a uniform?  I'm leary of people who say they are one thing and then might not be.  I have no issues with wardens doing their job.  The one time that I was checked hile duck hunting it was by a fellow wearing a Glock on his side and walking with a lab but no shotgun in the field.  When that guy asked for my license and I looked at the Glock, I needed no more ID than that  ;D  By the way that was also on a waterfowl production area.

Rick

Jerry_G

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:11:50 AM »
Oh yes, this guy was a federal warden alright.  He was also packing the heat, uniformed and I'm thinking he had a Blazer or something along those lines with decals on the door stating its official capacity. 

It was always my understanding that these guy's were brought in for waterfowl management so I was a bit surprised to here of him pulling tree stands. 

I have to say other than his asking me twice if I had any lead shot shells all went well.  Perhaps I should have just taken off my vest and let him check it the first time. 

Regards,  Jerry   

Mull_Dover

• Global Moderator
  • Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 07:35:06 AM »
Jerry,
Most likely he was just asking twice to see if you got nervous or would "cop" to having lead in your posession. These guys are often pretty darn busy with violations this time of year. (unfortunately ::))
In nearly every case that I've been involved the warden was a stand up guy.
And Clay any guy out walkin in a marsh with a Labradors' gotta be a helluva guy. ;)
River Beast

Clay

• Caddis
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
Police officers giving grandma a ticket is quite different than going up against a man that you KNOW is armed (hunters).  Many times wardens approach groups of armed men.  I have all the respect for the job that these guys do. 

Jerry, just like an audit, no need to volunteer any more information than what is asked for.   ;D 

Here is one for you guys that I was told the other day that surprised me.  A guy pulls into a public access parking area for hunting, drops his tailgate and pulls his gun case onto the tailgate to remove his firearm.  Can you open the gun case on your tailgate and remove the firearm?  I was told no, that this is a violation.  I know that you can't lay your shotgun on the tailgate without being in a case, but this guy was telling me that you have to put the case on the ground or remove it from contact with the vehicle before removing your gun.   I've never heard this before and this hair splitting enforcement surprised me.  Kind of like a Q tip to see if the hook is barbless.

I've never had any type of violation and again have no issues with wardens, sometimes we all need some clarification on what you need to do to stay in compliance.

Rick

TimF

• Caddis
  • Who needs pepper spray
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 01:56:15 PM »

Here is one for you guys that I was told the other day that surprised me.  A guy pulls into a public access parking area for hunting, drops his tailgate and pulls his gun case onto the tailgate to remove his firearm.  Can you open the gun case on your tailgate and remove the firearm?  I was told no, that this is a violation.  I know that you can't lay your shotgun on the tailgate without being in a case, but this guy was telling me that you have to put the case on the ground or remove it from contact with the vehicle before removing your gun.   I've never heard this before and this hair splitting enforcement surprised me.  Kind of like a Q tip to see if the hook is barbless

I can tell you Rick that the DNR did issue tickets last year in district 2 for not uncasing you fire arm correctly. I watched it happen as I was dragging my deer out. I ask the game warden what he gave the guy the ticket for ansd it was for casing the gun up in the car.  The game warden did help me load my deer on the carrier. I had already cased my Gun up before I went to finish the drag on my deer.
Ever try a Dynamite fly?

Jerry_G

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 02:17:50 PM »
This caseing or uncaseing the gun is interesting.  For whatever the reason the other day I pulled the cased gun from the car as this guy pulled in the parking area.  Normally I would have unzipped the end of the case while it laid on the folded back seat (station wagon) and pulled the gun out.  I suppose the problem here is in it being a safety issue.  One can or never should assume the gun is not loaded.  There certainly could be an accidental discharge as the gun is being pulled from the case.  Well all I can say is thanks for the heads up on that one.  I'll start doing it legal from here on out. 

Regards,  Jerry   

Todd T

• Caddis
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 06:59:14 AM »
Police officers giving grandma a ticket is quite different than going up against a man that you KNOW is armed (hunters).  Many times wardens approach groups of armed men.  I have all the respect for the job that these guys do. 

Jerry, just like an audit, no need to volunteer any more information than what is asked for.   ;D 

Here is one for you guys that I was told the other day that surprised me.  A guy pulls into a public access parking area for hunting, drops his tailgate and pulls his gun case onto the tailgate to remove his firearm.  Can you open the gun case on your tailgate and remove the firearm?  I was told no, that this is a violation.  I know that you can't lay your shotgun on the tailgate without being in a case, but this guy was telling me that you have to put the case on the ground or remove it from contact with the vehicle before removing your gun.   I've never heard this before and this hair splitting enforcement surprised me.  Kind of like a Q tip to see if the hook is barbless.

I've never had any type of violation and again have no issues with wardens, sometimes we all need some clarification on what you need to do to stay in compliance.

Rick

What about a bow?

I can see the point on firearms, but a bow?

Look at the regs in surrounding states, heck in Iowa you don't need a case to transport a bow. They must have had a rash of poachers shooting out the car window in Wisconsin.
 ::)

joekrz

• Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 07:28:50 AM »

If that is the case, then I'm in violation.  I lay my gun case on the tailgate every time I go out and remove my gun from it, then I proceed to lay my gun on the tailgate and put the case away in the truck so nobody steals it.

joekrz

• Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 07:38:06 AM »

What about a bow?

I can see the point on firearms, but a bow?

Look at the regs in surrounding states, heck in Iowa you don't need a case to transport a bow. They must have had a rash of poachers shooting out the car window in Wisconsin.
 ::)

A quick look at the regulations book reads as follows:

Arms Transportation

It is illegal to:

possess, place or transport in or on any vehicle, whether moving or stationary, any firearm, bow or crossbow unless the firearm is unloaded and completely enclosed within a carrying case (see page 5 for defi nition) with no portion of the firearm visible and the bow or crossbow is unstrung or enclosed within a carrying case.

possess, place or transport in or on any motor driven boat while the motor is running, any firearm, bow or crossbow unless the fi rearm is unloaded (see below) and bow or crossbow is unstrung or enclosed within a carrying case. Exception: Possession of a strung, uncased bow in a boat while using a motor is legal for bowfishing only. See Fishing Regulations for additional restrictions.

TimF

• Caddis
  • Who needs pepper spray
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 08:55:40 AM »
If that is the case, then I'm in violation.  I lay my gun case on the tailgate every time I go out and remove my gun from it, then I proceed to lay my gun on the tailgate and put the case away in the truck so nobody steals it.

Somebody call the Tip line and report this please.

The gun case tickets were the talk of the Kro-bar last year untill the show started
Ever try a Dynamite fly?

joekrz

• Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 09:13:45 AM »

Somebody call the Tip line and report this please.

The gun case tickets were the talk of the Kro-bar last year untill the show started

1-800-TIP-WDNR.  Call me in.  :P

Tsuga_canadensis

• Caddis
  • If I were a tree, what kind of tree would I be?
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 10:23:42 AM »
In college my roommate got wrung up by a game warden for laying his uncased gun on the hood of his truck while checking his target when he was sighting in his rifle.

If a C.O. spots a gun/vehicle violation, you will be tagged.
Eastern Hemlock

BoB_K

• Global Moderator
  • Caddis
  • Where's that silly trout
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 05:12:18 PM »
I guess I've been in violation also. I open the back end on my Cheroke, unzip the case while it's still laying there and slide the gun out. Slide it back in the case and zip up when I'm done, unloaded of course. As for my bow it gets strung up when I get up north and stays that way until I leave for home. Pretty hard to shoot a recurve from inside a vehicle if ya ask me but I know it's wrong by the book.

BoB
Brookies Forever

Tippetgood

• Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 07:53:12 PM »
Now....we have these magnetic gun/rod holders that we slap on the side of the truck while gearing up for grouse hunting.  Is that a violation because technically the firearms are not in contact with the vehicle.