Author Topic: When is the fish caught?  (Read 2457 times)

asdf

When is the fish caught?
« on: March 23, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »
I have a question on the viewpoint of “catching” a fish.  At what point do you consider it caught?  I realize this is not why many of us fish.   We cast our lines into the waters for a great many reasons, other than catching fish.  But, when is it in your eyes?  In the net?  Almost in the net? Would you count any fish that takes your fly caught?  

Shawn

• Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
Re: When is the fish caught?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 08:10:07 PM »
When you've measured him out to the last 1/8 of an inch...
Is that disturbing or what.  He's caught when you can look back, realized you did your best, took care of the fish (if you landed it), enjoyed it, and wished someone else can do the same.  At this rate, this is starting to look like a commercial for Kesslers.
Good question asdf.  The game for me changes with the situation.  I'd say each of us that's been doing this for any time is "caught".
SPS

RussB

• Global Moderator
  • Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 08:46:15 AM »
When she looks up at me with those beautiful eyes, smiles, sighs, runs her fingers through ....oops wrong web site ;D.  When ever you think you've caught it!  Best of luck. RussB

Rich_M

• Caddis
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 09:52:33 AM »
I think I'm going to go to hookless flies. Just the idea that I fooled them is enough.
<*))))><    Do these waders make my butt look big??   ><((((*>

BoB_K

• Global Moderator
  • Caddis
  • Where's that silly trout
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 03:35:55 PM »
I think I'll mirror what Rich said. Most of the time I don't touch the fish anyway. When I get a trout up to me I grasp the hook with thumb and index finger and give it a little quick shake by flicking my wrist and most of the time the fish is free and on its way. I'm leaning more towards barbless and if they get off during the fight so be it. I'd consider it caught.
Brookies Forever

SirTrout

• Administrator
  • Caddis
  • Fly fishing is not just for royalty.
    • FlyFishingWis
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 08:08:34 AM »
Unless you’re in a fishing tournament it can be what ever you want it to be.  I will count fish to gauge how I’m doing, to give me an idea if I need to change fly or tactics.  

Like Rich_M and I were discussing over the weekend,  “Having a good day is when you lose track of how many fish you have caught!”

-ST
www.FlyFishingWis.com

Vegetarian: Primitive word for "Lousy Hunter"

Rich_M

• Caddis
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 09:16:35 AM »
I'm guessing most of us have been talking trout. If it's blugills, I consider them caught when they are browing in butter.
<*))))><    Do these waders make my butt look big??   ><((((*>

asdf

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 12:20:58 PM »
I’m a competitive type of guy, I just have a hard time not counting fish.  Maybe knowing that there is not set rules I can quit counting ;D

TheExplorer

• Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 01:06:50 PM »
My buddy and I are working on a system...

Fish is caught when in net, or if too small for net, then when we get a hand on the fish or hook.

Now, as for long-distance-releases.  We count a fish that you have on for the better part of the fight a half fish...but you cannot catch 2 long-distance-releases as your first whole fish...can after first fish.

Fish that you had on briefly or striked and missed we don't count...but are referred to if fishing ability comes into question.

Remember, if you go fishing and don't catch fish, there is ALWAYS a reasonable excuse...although this gets more difficult to prove if your buddy hammers em. :-?

~Steve

Jerry_G

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 01:51:40 PM »
ASDF, you bring up a good point in this competitive nature comment.  Competition is so much a part of our lives now days it's actually hard to escape.  I suppose that even in this activity of fly fishing for trout where there are so many more things to be enjoying while we're on the stream we are actually perhaps without realizing it in competition in trying to out smart a fish.  

There was a time when the idea of fishing was to put food on the table.  I suspect even then there was some friendly need to know who caught the most and biggest.  However today it's diffacult to turn on a fishing show on the tube that won't feature folks wearing clothing plastered full of advertising.  Yes it's all catch and release alright.  However it once again certainly pulls one away from the thought that this was suppose to be a relaxing enjoyable experience.  I don't think it is to hard to understand how we have acquired the mind sets that we have but more so how we can get back to just fishing.

Regards,  Jerry  

RussB

• Global Moderator
  • Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 03:03:45 PM »
When I think about all the great times I ruined when younger because of competition I feel like crying.  Competition is important when winning or losing makes a difference, fishing is, well, fishing, 'nough said.  Rich has got the best outlook, at the end of a good day who can remember and, more importantly, who cares.  Fishing is is about the most fun a person can have standing up ;).  Best of luck, RussB

P.S. Jerry, weather for Friday is looking good :).  

TheExplorer

• Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 06:11:49 PM »
If you guys thought that we're competitive, well, we are...But, it's not one of those rub it in your face kind of competitions.  We'll keep track of fish also because everyone always asks how we did, so for the sake of accuracy we usually know how many fish we catch.  Unfortunately, it's not difficult to remember at times when you only catch 2 trout all day...seems tough to "loose" track of 2 fish to me. :-[

~Steve

Jerry_G

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 07:55:22 PM »
Steve,

With all do respect, your actions are likely in the majority from what I've been reading on message boards.  I would think that all of us have been there at some point in this pastime.  Some I suspect never do get past counting, measureing, taking pictures, etc. etc.  Unfortunately it is something some feel they need to do in order to get the fullest enjoyment out of the days fishing.  Does that make anyone less of a sportsman? I think not, however there may come a time where all of this will no longer be even part of the conversation that you and your buddy will have.

Now allow me to lighten the air some with a true story of three trout fisherman.  One was a fly fisherman, one was trying to convert to being a fly fisherman and the other fished spinners and bait.  

All three converged on this stream one afternoon and split and went there ways.  getting back together later that afternoon they compared fishing reports only to find out that neither of the three had taken a fish.  Well the convert and the spin fisherman were as we discussed, competitive and to simply take one lousy trout was going to prove something this day.  

Since spinners had failed and flies had failed surely worms would take a fish.  The two started pulling up weeds and brush with their bare hands inorder to try and locate a few worms for their final effort at proving who was the best.  

Not only did they not find any worms that afternoon and then have to travel back home without a champion being crowned.  In the next few days they came to realize they had been scrounging for worms in amongst poison ivy which by now was adorning other more private parts of their bodies.  

I traveled west to fish with these same three guys about ten years ago.  Late snow in the mountains had the rivers swollen and wade fishing was out of the question.  Trout were hard to come by unless you could take a float trip.  The spin fisherman who wasn't about to use a fly rod I'm sure did better than the rest of us.  The fellow that I referred to as the convert earlier did take a few fish but was so caught up in getting a picture of his fish the few he caught slipped away before a camera could be made ready.  With this being my first trip west once the disappointment of not being able to wade those big rivers wore off I was very content seeking out the little brookie creeks that frequented the area.  The scenery was beautiful the locals entertaing and the thriving metropolis of Encampment Wyoming will never be forgotten.

Regards,  Jerry

Regards,  Jerry                    

RussB

• Global Moderator
  • Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 08:24:51 PM »
If you guys thought that we're competitive, well, we are...But, it's not one of those rub it in your face kind of competitions.  We'll keep track of fish also because everyone always asks how we did, so for the sake of accuracy we usually know how many fish we catch.  Unfortunately, it's not difficult to remember at times when you only catch 2 trout all day...seems tough to "loose" track of 2 fish to me. :-[
~Steve
Wait till your mind starts to work (or maybe not work) like mine.  I can lose track of where I parked the jeep.  I have a friend in Waupaca who answers the quesion "How did you do today?" with the same answer.  "Caught  fish in the 4 to 20 inch range."  All he will ever say.

Shawn

• Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 09:58:22 PM »
The award goes to Rich... Bluegills in the pan.  Few things are finer.
The levels of the game.  I've been at the stage where my success was measured by fish.  Some days I still feel the pull...  Everyone of us has at one time or another.  Or looking back, for some of you, you just forgot.  The rest of you are full of spit... :o
When I'm driving home from fishing do I replay every fish I brought to hand(or didn't)?  I think...
How lucky I am to have a beautiful, healthy little boy and a wonderful, understanding wife.  Trout streams and the ability to fish them as we do is an honor.
Does catching fish change my thankfulness?  very rarely ;)
I still enjoy catching fish.  And hunting large fish.  There are so many variations to this game.  Some days I feel like matching the sculpin hatch, some days the baetis.  Sometimes I catch a nice fish that I never land...
SPS