Author Topic: Hook & Hackle = Fiasco?  (Read 1316 times)

FlyTrap

• Caddis
Hook & Hackle = Fiasco?
« on: May 30, 2007, 09:29:09 PM »
I still haven't figured out cut and paste yet, and I don't want to pimp another board, but there's a thread on Hook and Hackle, a mail order house.  It appears they are under new management and really going through some growing pains, not being able to fill orders, mis-billing and such.  Not telling folks the stuff is being back-ordered, things like that.  Too, apparently their phones were down and they lost any e-mails after 21 May. 

I know a lot of you guys shop online, so thought maybe a heads up was worthwhile.

Middle Branch

• Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
Re: Hook & Hackle = Fiasco?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 10:57:02 PM »
I just placed a rodbuilding order last week.  Got it in two days!  However, I'm short a reelseat and a fighting butt.  And I got billed for the reelseat.  I haven't tried calling yet.  There was no mention of a backorder on an email or on my receipt.
In the meantime I went to a flyshop and bought a reelseat and a fighting butt.  Perhaps that's where I should have bought everything in the first place.  H&H's prices are hard to beat though.

WIHEXROD

• Caddis
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 08:14:54 AM »
In the meantime I went to a flyshop and bought a reelseat and a fighting butt.  Perhaps that's where I should have bought everything in the first place.

If we don't support the local business, it often goes away.
Scott
Maker of Rods From Grass From China

FlyTrap

• Caddis
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 08:22:07 PM »
I find I mis-spoke.  H&H is claiming they're having problems with Whiting, who is under new management, not H&H themselves.  The rest still applies.

Middle Branch

• Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 10:24:56 PM »
I got my fighting butt in the mail today.  No sign of the seat yet. 

FlyTrap

• Caddis
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 10:29:54 PM »
For myself I don't do enough business with them to really have a valid opinion on them, just passing on what I saw elsewhere to any interested folks.  The only thing I ever got from them was a guidebook 7 or 8 years ago, don't remember exactly how long it took to receive it seems like it was about a week or so.

Middle Branch

• Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 07:11:16 PM »
Got my reel seat today.  So all in all, not bad service.  4 day delay on fighting butt, 11 day delay on reel seat.  The big issue is that I wasn't notified of the back order or how long it would take to get the stuff.  So from now on I will only call in my orders, (you can still get the 20% discount if you tell them) that way if there is a backorder you'll be able to find out right away and can order a similiar item. 
Still can't beat the prices.  As for supporting my local flyshop.  I don't really have a local flyshop, within 20 minutes of me I have a Gander and a Bass pro.  The Chicago and Milwaukee flyshops are all 45 minutes+ away from me.  Joseph's place is a little over an hour.  And I do hit the flyshops up once in a while.  It's just more convenient to me to mail order or hit up Gander. 

onemorecast

• Caddis
    • www.onemorecast.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 08:26:27 PM »
Joseph's place is a little over an hour. 

.......and well worth the drive!

Have you tried Coren's for rod components?

Joseph
"Trout flies much like prayers are sometimes best offered from my knees, if only to keep me humble"

Middle Branch

• Caddis
  • I Love Fly Fishing
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 09:58:08 PM »
Yeah I go see Eric every once in a while, also old Dan.  Dan is an interesting fellow and his shop is in the coolest neighborhood in Chitown.  It's an easy drive too, just straight down 41. That's where I bought the stuff from last week. Those are the only two shops that sell components in the area.  There is Reinke Bros. in Milwaukee but they're mostly spin tackle.  I can't believe the new Cabelas sells no rodbuilding stuff whatsoever.  What a joke.  They have every single gun item in their catalog at that store but not one rodbuilding item.  Their flyshop is so-so.
Yeah it's been a while since I stopped by Joseph.  I just haven't been tying much at all lately.  I did no tying whatsoever over the winter.  Too busy with school I guess.
You been getting in on the cicada action?  I was working down in Lake Bluff/Deerfield this week and they were everywhere.  One of my customers had a grocery bag full of them that she swept off her driveway, I'm talking one of them plastic ones.  She then told me that there were 4 more bags that she threw away already.  I haven't seen a single cicada up my way.  I'm not sure that they're going to hit this far north.  I've been wanting to hit up a Lake Bluff area pond but just haven't got around to it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 10:02:21 PM by Middle Branch »

Tarka

• Caddis
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 08:34:48 PM »
Full disclosure: Eric Heckman, the sole proprietor (now that Bill moved back East) of Coren's Rod and Reel is a neighbour and friend of mine. His store is near O'Hare, which makes it less than 90 minutes from the State line outside of rush hour.

That said, I am compelled to add that Joseph's recommendation is excellent. Coren's is an old school shop that can make or fix just about anything related to fishing equipment. Eric's stock of rod-building components is very interesting - he knows what works, and what's a fad. If you need to order something for a special building project, he'll make sure that you choose the right items. Service, knowledge and a great experience with very very friendly folks - Coren's occupies a niche that we'll all need at some point, from tip-tops to reel clutches and custom pawls.

Two vital parts of our sport we tend to take for granted, and shouldn't:

i) your local retailer, whether it is Joseph, Andy, Eric, etc., and
ii) public access to quality water.

Tight Lines,

Alistair
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 08:47:05 PM by Tarka »
Underwater eyes, an eel's
Oil of water body, neither fish nor beast is the otter